Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Digital Inks - Right On, Baby!

This is posted to clarify a definition I had used in response to a detractor on a forum where I said "digital inks" and meant taking the the artist's original pencil sketch through stages to sharpen them up and make them suitable for print.

The poster said in all his years of art training he'd NEVER heard of that usage.

I was feeling pretty down in the dumps. I am Irish and we CAN create names to fit what we want on the fly - sort of like German philosophers. But I've been doing it this way for years - was my terminology that far off?

Then my library got the latest and newest copy of Stan Lee's How To Draw Comics, and on page 148, I was exonerated. To my detractor's credit, the term is used BOTH ways: to simply correct 'real inks' or to pull the pencil values into the reproducible 'ink' form.

I remember the first time I showed two comic book pencillers this new ability to work STRAIGHT from the pencils was available to them and they did not NEED an inker. It was back in 1995 or so. {I will say a VAST majority of good inkers IMPROVE the penciller, so this is NOT for all artists.)

They got quiet.

Here's to those who learn quickly -



Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment