Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The Right Focus

After a much needed break, and working on some of my portfolio pieces, I'm re-appearing with some good news: this week I will be teaching two classes on Sequential Art at KARITOS on July 16th, 2011, and right now I am working on a painting to submit to the juried art exhibition; it's based on "The Woman at the Well" from John 4.

Why the Joy?
A dear friend, Lynn Zuk-Lloyd, graciously got me involved this year, and encouraged me MIGHTILY with many words and emails to put my art out for sale.

Here's one image she nearly twisted my arm to get out - an old illo of my superhero Knightstar [see right]

She herself has written and illustrated some great books about finding your way when you don't know which way to go [Surviving Tough Times], and they are deceptively simple - and really right on the money for the wounded soul.

Her message in a sentence? "Don't focus on the darkness; focus on God."

Surviving Tough Times by Lynn Zuk-LloydNow the cynic in me fights such words - my issue is too complex for that, what a bit of jingoistic pablum! It's not that easy! etc, etc. blahblahblahblah....

Lynn's right, folks. It's the Gordian Knot of our internal life.

Marksmen and artists know the same truth: you hit what you look at. Truly, it is just a matter of concentration and patience.
"If you gaze long into an abyss," said Nietzsche, "the abyss will gaze back into you."
You know what Jesus said?
"But if your eye is evil, your whole body will be full of darkness. Therefore, if the light within you has turned into darkness, how great is that darkness!"

Basically, the same thing: a toxic focus will destroy you.

Focus on God and His Love.

And if you find yourself getting upset, do it again.

And again. And again.

It is a discipline, no doubt.

But it will save your soul.


peace
justice

No comments:

Post a Comment