Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Let's Face It: Christianity is Hard

A few posts back I was pleased to announce the return of Jennifer Knapp to recording music. Love what she has sung about Christ.

I didn't mention it at the time, but I wrote to her once before. 10 years earlier, I asked her online in a chatroom interview "What do you read to feed yourself spiritually?" Her answer IIRC, was "a a variety of things." Another asked who was her spiritual mentor - sort of an accountability partner. Jenn replied she had none. In fact, she shied away from such preferring doing things her own way.

I thought that a bit dangerous. I know my own proclivities and if I do not have a solid schedule and at the very least a few buds concerned about how I follow Christ, I would probably quit. Like all humans, I tend to default to my lowest setting when no one is watching me. Please note: not micro-managing me - UGH! but watching me - encouraging me and putting God's standard in front of my rebellious carnal face.

"This is the way - walk in it." says God. Problem is He's often very gentle about it.

Easy to ignore if you want.

Now, here we go: Jennifer Knapp has come out.

She's a lesbian, and it is by her choice. She has a girlfriend. She is certain of the backlash this will cause and I agree that will happen.

"After 10 years of celibacy you have 'LOSER" written on your back," she quipped in the interview.

I know, Jenn. I know.

The world does not commend such faithfulness. God does.

What is it that G. K. Chesterton said?

Christianity has not been tried and found wanting;
it has been found difficult and not tried.


Whatever commands our obedience is our Lord, folks. If you cannot say no to something or someone or some offer - then that object of desire becomes your God.

When Abraham went up to offer Isaac, his heir, his only begotten son, as a sacrifice to God, he was not saying "This child means nothing to me." Oh no - I believe he trembled inside and out. He was saying "God, the very God who GAVE me this child - is FAR more important than my own desires!"

That was the test. It is still the test today.

I do not despise Jenn for going this way. The earmarks were there. It was just a matter of time [rumors had been flying from early days].

But I notice again and again how many say as they walk the Christian faith: "This is just too insane - I CANNOT be expected to be humiliated like this - and to be so alone and isolated!"

Brothers and sisters in Christ, that is PRECISELY what you have to do. You are being made into a saint - like Paul, like John the baptist, or OT prophets like Jonah or Jeremiah. Notice the non-conformist pattern?

We still love you, Jenn. How could we not? She touched our hearts. She's precious!

But this lifestyle is not the way to eternity.

"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."

Once again, a promising saint has gone off-road.

Pray for their safety until they return.

And chose this day Whom you will serve.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment