Monday, February 2, 2009

The Sinestro Corps War, Pt. 2

I have had one crazy weekend of shopping bliss. I had so much fun, I am afraid of being a closet materialist. After three years of unemployment but constant service, I have been walking by faith from month to month. Now, with extra income, I was able to purchase some not-so-needed things.

One of which was a spot-on Hal Jordan power ring replica - yeah, baby! Custom made by a friend over on the League of Hero boards, it is a thing of beauty. The green LED in it is so powerful, I can find ojects with it in a darkened room!

The other major purchase? A 32" LCD TV - since we are all going digital this month and since we had a TV that was rescued from the trash 10 years ago, we had a bit of an impetus to upgrade - hard. Good news: we got it at a steal; this model sells for $500, and we found one for $380 - then we got another $50 off for it being a floor display model!

I admit it - my joy in thse things warns me that my heart is only a step away from my old style of life, where objects are more exciting than people.

Jesus warns against that. Our stories warn against that.

In The Sinestro Corps War, we see Coast City come back to life - not because all the buildings are new and beautiful - but because they believe in their hero, Hal Jordan.

He warns them what is going to happen - how he cannot guarantee their safety - and they refuse to leave. In fact shining green lights in window after window. They place their faith in him, and after his victory, you see thousands of people flocking to arrive by car - "Ghost City" (its pejorative nickname after it was rebuilt) is now Coast City - the City without Fear.

Yeah - its cheezy, but we love it. We don't need comfort as much as we need courage.

Its so much like Jesus. Here, see for yourself:

Luke 22:30-39
Then Jesus asked them, "When I sent you without purse, bag or sandals, did you lack anything?"

"Nothing," they answered.

He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. It is written: 'And he was numbered with the transgressors'; and I tell you that this must be fulfilled in me. Yes, what is written about me is reaching its fulfillment."

The disciples said, "See, Lord, here are two swords."

"That is enough," he replied.


You see, Jesus is the Hero of Heroes. He knows what men need in a Fallen world - courage. He has taken good care of them until now. He reminds them that they lacked nothing. So His next words are about their responsibility as He handles his.

Jesus had a destiny to fulfill, and He is preparing His disciples to face a world that will hate them. No, He did not want them to be the aggressors, but He did not want them to lose, either. (I think He is also silencing any thoughts of military conquest at the end. "Enough of that kind of talk," is what Jesus meant, said one commentator.) He's telling them, like He tells each follower: "Look - I will do my job. You are to be wise, not fearful. You will be hated and attacked because I was hated and attacked. Get ready."

To their credit, when they see Jesus resurrected, the men understood that their real victory was NOT to be a military one, but rather one of the spirit - and yes, Virginia, they began the movement that ended up conquering the Roman Empire. They brought a lot more to the world than a couple more swords. They brought life. They brought hope.

Something about seeing your best friend come back from the dead does that to you.

Hal Jordan? He's become Coast City's messiah, no doubt about it.

Jesus - he's ours, of course.

Stay bright out there, lanterns!

Amen.