Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Green Lanterns in Love: Kyle Rayner and Soranik Natu, Pt. 2

Patrick Gleason did this coverIf you can see the smile on my face all the way from your computer, you ought to know who put it there: Pat Gleason.

Since I am trying to be faithful and "keep publishing" Monday, Wednesday, Friday, I will put his comment on my last blog up for all to see.

BTW, Pat, I was flabbergasted and honored - you really made my day!

Pat wrote this:
You get the no prize! (if DC had one that is.) I just came across your blog and wanted to validate your claim. You were right! I forgot I even drew that moment so far back in Recharge, but I always knew something was (or should happen with those two) So I had Natu gazing at Kyle as a bit of silent monologue.

And while the thought of you tying GL into the Gospels literally made me do a double take, I think that your conclusion "...please keep in mind He has to deal with you. He's just being patient - and respectful. You may, like Mary, look right at Him and mistake Him for a servant. When He calls your name, you'll come to your senses."

Was very on point and a good reminder. Very cool, brother.

Be well, and God bless.

PAT

Now I should move on, and give you a personal story with another spiritual anecdote, and there is one here, so I will use it, but first let me say: I am so happy to hear from Pat Gleason, to hear his approval and admiration and to discover he is also a believer in Jesus.

That is coooooooooooooll.

Lovin' your art, Pat, BTW. Love even the pirate signature. That is muy cool as well.

Now, how does this affirmation from Pat Gleason feel? Very good. Is there someplace in the Gospels that someone else felt like I do right now?

Yeah. In fact, when the Artist commends the Viewer for an insight, it is a happy time for both.

Here's where Jesus commended Peter - and yes, I think Jesus is very happy, even smiling, because not everyone saw what Peter saw.

Matthew 16:13-17
When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, "Who do people say the Son of Man is?"

They replied, "Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets."

"But what about you?" he asked. "Who do you say I am?"

Simon Peter answered, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."

Jesus replied, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven!"


Can you hear it?

Jesus is casually chatting with His guys and saying, "So - what's everyone saying about me?"

They begin with what they know of scriptures: very notable prophets who also worked miracles - but NOWHERE in the scope or power that Jesus is doing.

Only one of the twelve sees Jesus as He is - the very Messiah, the Anointed One - "Christos" in the Greek.

Its like finding out Batman is really Superman in disguise (from Knight Time old Superman/Batman Bruce Timm episode, remember?)

Jesus says he did not have the power to see Him if God the Father did not give Peter this revelation.

So its cool - Peter is commended, but Jesus lets him know - "It wasn't because you were smart, Peter - it was a wonderful insight granted by God."

As a Christian who once was not "in" and now is, I remember those days of struggle. It was, especially for me, a divine revelation of who Jesus really, truly was.

Not just a prophet, not just a miracle-worker, but the very One who saves us.

Pat - thank you brother. I was sure I was right because you left the clues in plain sight. But hearing your confirmation just made my day.

And Peter?

C'mon - he was SO high, Jesus had to pull him back down in the next two verses!!

But at that moment, I know how he felt - and what a gift it was.

May you too have a special revelation of Jesus' true identity today.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment