Friday, October 10, 2008

Brother Yun, The Heavenly Man

Well, reader, I am going to have to take a break from this blog for a while to refresh, renew and restore my heart and mind. I noticed my last posts were a bit - eh - LONG, adn I have a new job as night watchman.

But before I take that break, I want to tell you that I met a real live, breathing superhero here in Chicagoland.

His name is Brother Yun (pronounced Yewn), aka the Heavenly Man.

He got his nom de guerre the way any cool superhero does - by others who saw his brave and heroic actions.

Brother Yun is a Chinese pastor who has been beaten multiple times, had his legs shattered and then walked out of a maximum security prison, and went on a medically impossible 74-day fast from all food and water, all for Christ's sake.

These are truly superheroic abilities, and Brother Yun has done them only and utterly by the Holy Spirit's power and for the cause of Jesus Christ and the spread of His Gospel.

If you have ever read about the apostles in the book of Acts and the great miracles they did and experienced, then you will understand Brother Yun's life. He is a modern-day Apostle Paul from China. As Paul was to the Gentiles, so Yun is to many of the Christians in China.

He preaches repentance and a whole-hearted devotion to following Jesus Christ. He is earnestly serious and you can read his amazing, jaw-dropping, "I do NOT believe this" biography in a book entitled The Heavenly Man published by Monarch/Zondervan. He has another book which just came out that addresses, like Paul would, we Christians in the West, called Living Water.

It ain't for the faint of heart. He does not lacerate or angrily attack our Westernized version of Christianity to simply be heartless, but he is saddened that Jesus is loved so little here in America.

I understand that. Unfortunately, Yun also convicts me of a growing bitterness from which I have to repent and let the Lord Jesus alone judge.

So if you want to read a modern-day apostle who's just a poor man who loved Jesus so much he became miraculously empowered by the Holy Spirit and is now internationally known, I think you ought to get a copy of this book. You will not want to put it down.

Oh - I almost forgot. Do you know why is he called Brother Yun? Well, Yun means "cloud/heavens" In Chinese (IIRC) , and one day as he was walking to a house-church meeting, he was arrested. He had to warn the Believers inside, even as the police asked him "Where are you from? What is your address?"

He shouted loudly, successfully alerting the church group, "I have no home! My home is in heaven! I am a heavenly man!"

And it stuck. Soon all Chinese Christians knew him by this name. Now we do too.

May you receive as glorious a name as you learn to serve Christ and Christ alone.


Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment