Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The Phantom Stranger, Pt. 4


"I need a ride to DragonCon - unless you
are a Baptist Cessationist!"
OK, its late so here's the long and short...

Connor, the ex-White Witch I picked up told me that the Lord had told him he was going to get a ride from a black-haired man that day.

I am that man. So I asked him about how he came to know Jesus.

He told me he grew up in a Baptist church, but was upset at the spiritual immaturity he saw - I guessed he went to a specific congregation that had "cessationist" theology - to wit, after the day of Pentecost, the Holy Spirit doesn't need to work anymore.

Period.

That mean all the Charismatics, Pentecostals, and other Spirit-focused churches are heretics.

Period.

Instead of meeting his legitimate need to meet God through His Spirit, they denied it altogether, so Connor went after it on his own - and became a White Witch (and a VERY accomplished one at that).

"I wanted to bring light against the darkness so I studied everything. I was pretty good at it." He smiled ruefully. "I could take on entire covens."

He used to go to large retreats or meetings with other witches. Big meetings. With guests from all over. Eastern mystics and Native American spiritists, you name it, they came - and knew him. They started to say to him, as his life started on a downturn from the fallout with an ex-grilfriend who cursed him, "You're going to become a Christian."

"No way. I don't even like them."

"You are going to become a Christian." They saw it coming before he did. God was after him.

Now the following will upset some people's theology, but I believe Connor spoke truthfully 'cause he didn't want to tell me or admit to it: "I used to talk to God as I fought those covens."

"So you believed in God and talked to Him - but didn't want to be a Christian?"

"Yeah." He looked a bit askance and said, "He would talk to me, though. When I asked for His help."

Now you have to understand, we evangelicals always tell people what Jesus says: "No one comes to the Father except through the Son." and that is true: no one gets into God's presence in a true saving relationship unless they accept Jesus Christ's blood and sacrifice. But it doesn't mean that God cannot speak to us whenever He wishes. I was a little surprised, but my testimony was that God spoke to me, so I didn't have too much trouble with it. I asked Connor what God said to him.

Big grin. "He said, 'You should go to my son, Jesus.'"

I laughed out loud.

He was relieved. He was glad I believed him, 'cause well, let's just say its rare to find any minister who attended cemetary - I mean, seminary - who can "think outside the box" and find himself with Jesus all over again. Connor went on to tell how he began having more and more demonic attacks in his life - stuff he could no longer defeat. Just as we materialists usually have to get to the end of our practical ropes to admit our need for a Savior, this Witch had to admit his spiritual powerlessness before coming to Christ.

Having exhausted all spells, he called on Jesus - but it didn't work at first.

"You were using him as a 'magic word' and He refused to help!"

"EXACTLY!"

"Then what?" I ask excitedly. (We are flying through Tennessee at 70 mph and this is the BEST conversation I've had in 6 months.)

"Well, my mom had become a Christian and was living in (State). So I left my girlfriend in (State) and went to stay with her. It was the worst time of my life: I was getting drunk, thinking about committing suicide. I could not sleep at all -night after night after night!"

"Spiritual warfare."

"Spiritual warfare," he agreed. "One night it all came to a head. There were doors opening and closing in my bedroom, stuff flying around, so I grabbed my Bible...." (He had begun attending a Tent Revival and saw some miracualous healings - and an Angel! The Angel had glowered at him so he kept his distance.) "...and began looking in it for the prayer of salvation!"

I laughed. "You thought it was a spell, didn't you?!"

"YEAH! Exactly!"

"What'd you do?" I cannot stop grinning. I know what happened. I just wanted to hear him say it.

"I said, 'Lord, I don't know the right way to pray, but I ask you to save me, please! In Jesus' Name, Amen."

"...and He did."

"And He did."

All the chaos stopped, as the Lord Jesus took His rightful throne in Connor's heart.

Connor has since led two other witches to Christ over the past six months trekking through Tennessee. Pray for his safety, but remember what the Word says:

"He who is within you is greater than he who is within the world."

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment