Friday, August 15, 2008

Werewolves by Night! (late edition)

The first comic I ever wanted was Werewolf by Night #2, art by the under-appreciated Mike Ploog. He picked up Will Eisner's moodiness and played a symphony of Gil Kane-ish action and pathos that still rocks to this day. The story is convoluted, so I will give you the short version: whenever the Moon is out, Jack Russell transforms into a werewolf. The more full the moon is, the more bestial he is.

Conversely, the more the moon wanes, the more of his human nature comes through.

Then at the age of ten, I got the coolest book in the world - a beginner's Monster Makeup book from Scholastic, Alan Ormsby’s Movie Monsters. Using it, I would make myself up as a werewolf, a wild child who ran rampant through the neighbor's yards under a full Autumn moon, pretending to be fierce and terrible.


In one notable (and oft-repeated incident), I came in from playing, teeth still in, black nosed and dark skinned, and saw my mother talking with a lady friend in the dining room. Like Bill Watterson's Calvin, I went drooling past saying, "Hi, Mom!"

She flushed and said quickly: "That's my son!"

She never let me forget that night. Evaaaarr.


My Den of Wolves
Last night I stayed up to 2:30 a.m. on a forum I had previously left, defending my assessment of a woman who so abused her child by neglect and malnutrition, the child had become feral. A domesticated dog had more life than this child. But thank God, she was taken from her mother and given to God-fearing people who were now seeing small signs of recovery.

Because I am known for my strong evangelical nature - that men should repent of their sins and turn to Jesus Christ to be saved - I got a nice double-barrel of ridicule for being "judgmental" on this issue. When I tried to answer back, I got this response.

"Bull****! You like a nice cold glass of self-righteousness!"

This comment from a person I highly respect. It seems the respect is one-way.

Let me be clear: when Jesus said 'Love your enemies!' He meant 'Love your enemies!' not 'Love the enemies of God'. Love means telling the truth, eschewing evil. It also means you get angry when a person is abused and treated shamefully. I think that is why God does watch over the weak and loves them -He becomes their shield, their defender. Jesus' comments on what happens to those who "cause one of these little ones who believe in me to sin" are very dire.

But in fairness to my friend, I have failed to express a lot of love on this forum. Its very hard for me to do so.

Because they are werewolves.

As once was I.

Brilliant, ready to shred at a moment's notice anyone we percieve as false, as an enemy, as bringing pain and unlove into the world. When they spend their time talking about how cruel Christians are, how evangelicals are homophobic Nazis, and boasting of either their sexual ability, academic credentials or physical prowess in one form or another, I am so tempted...

...to think I am so much better: "I thank thee Lord I am not like them!"

I am a barely cured werewolf. Still learning about love and patience.

What cured me was being confronted by Jesus -and upon meeting Him, I died to self, only to live again.

It is hard to love a werewolf. Even harder to stop being one.

Especially when the moon is full and beasts demand sympathy for the ones who make children feral.

GRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrr...

"That's my son!"

"Remember that at that time you were separate from Christ, excluded from citizenship in Israel and foreigners to the covenants of the promise, without hope and without God in the world. But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far away have been brought near through the blood of Christ.

(*woof*)

Thanks, Jesus.

(*wags tail*)


*siiiggghhh*


Amen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice post. So, Justice, is your fan club more of a society or more of league? Are members largely American, International, or Unlimited? Sorry, I had to ask.

Justice said...

I have no idea. Too many anonymous readers to profile. ;)

Post a Comment