Friday, July 18, 2008

Batman Begins

Today I am seeing The Dark Knight at 11:00 a.m. - man, the buzz on this is powerful and incessant. I have never heard of theatres having Midnight, 3 a.m. and 6 a.m. showings for a Premiere!

I'm almost scared of over-hype. Oh, well, I'll find out, won't I?

I've spent all week looking at my past, my failures and God's grace to me. I have seen myself in Doctor Doom and even the Joker - it all depends on how we handle our wounds.

And frankly, I see myself now in the role of Batman. A bit of a spiritual version to be sure, but Batman.

Now I have, once upon a time, dressed up as Batman, ala Michael Keaton style - and got lots of eye-popping compliments. I am obsessive on detaileven though I have a low budget - so I work hard to make the costume look "real". I had real leather gauntlets, plastic armor for gloves and boots, even a custom-made cape and belt. I also did not have my goatee, and stood, in costume, about 6'4".

Yeah. I did. I made the little kids cry.

But I notice that Batman is a man with a mission to clear his city of corruption. The job is NOT being done by the professionals - the cops - and so he takes it upon himself to do the job.

Believe it or not, that is just like Jesus.

I say this after preaching the gospel to the incarcerated for eight years. No pay involved. Seems no one wants this ministry in the "big" churches. Ain't no money in it. Too dangerous.

Heh. Read on.
Matthew 8:28-34
The Healing of Two Demon-possessed Men
When he (Jesus) arrived at the other side in the region of the Gadarenes, two demon-possessed men coming from the tombs met him. They were so violent that no one could pass that way.

"What do you want with us, Son of God?!" they shouted. "Have you come here to torture us before the appointed time?"

Some distance from them a large herd of pigs was feeding. The demons begged Jesus, "If you drive us out, send us into the herd of pigs."

He said to them, "Go!" So they came out and went into the pigs, and the whole herd rushed down the steep bank into the lake and died in the water. Those tending the pigs ran off, went into the town and reported all this, including what had happened to the demon-possessed men. Then the whole town went out to meet Jesus. And when they saw him, they pleaded with him to leave their region.


Jesus scares everybody - first the demons, then the townspeople.

Is Batman scary? Yeah. Is it for a reason? Yeah.

Is Jesus scary? You betcha. And that doesn't sit well with the "religious" types, either.

Matthew 12:23-28

All the people were astonished and said, "Could this be the Son of David (our expected hero)?"

But when the Pharisees heard this, they said, "It is only by Beelzebub, the prince of demons, that this fellow drives out demons."

Jesus knew their thoughts and said to them, "Every kingdom divided against itself will be ruined, and every city or household divided against itself will not stand. If Satan drives out Satan, he is divided against himself. How then can his kingdom stand? And if I drive out demons by Beelzebub, by whom do your people drive them out? So then, they will be your judges.

"But if I drive out demons by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God has come upon you."

So I have to end this with saying if you are dark and scary and working for God, it's O.K. He likes it. Shakes things up for the good.

Just try to scare the right people, for the right reasons, at the right time.

Go be a Dark Knight... for Christ's sake.

Amen.

2 comments:

Resilient Hawk said...

Hopefully, this was not your costume.

Great thoughts there. You write well. How long before we see a "Superheroes as Christian Motifs" sort of book?

Justice said...

Perhaps a year from now.

I'll just keep posting, and then collect all in one.

Shoot - maybe 3 months I'd have enough, ya think?

Post a Comment