Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The Homeless Hero

This is going to be a short one, 'cause I have to leave in 30 minutes to help at a church from Midnight to 3 a.m. making lunches for the homeless.

Now don't get all misty-eyed on me. I would be there except for the grace of God. You too, if you think about it.

What makes me laugh is how much space is in so many homes in America. The reason the homeless are homeless is because - DUH! - no one wants them in their HOMES!

"Hi, I'm Frank. I smell like urine and I have deep emotional problems. 'Can I stay in your home?"

Ain't gonna happen. Sad, but true.

And since I went to the movies today, I saw the latest trailer for Hancock - the wrecking-ball, loose cannon homeless superhero. I was HOWLING! (What can I say - I like Will Smith and I have Gamed long enough with these types of Players that this is a movie that BEGGED to be made).





And that brings up a point: should heroes have a home?

I mean, any personal relationship with a superhuman is going to get messy when you are Invulnerable and your spouse isn't. Or even if he or she is just as tough as you, who says the home will stay intact - metaphorically or physically speaking? Remember Pixar's The Incredibles?

But one superhuman didn't worry about it at all.

"Foxes have dens and birds of the air have nests, but the son of Man has no place to lay his head."

Jesus was homeless. Difference was, people wanted Him to come in and eat with them. Why?

Because He loved them.

Because He healed them, physically, mentally, spiritually. Jesus did not come here to get cosey but to give us a home in heaven.

"In my Father's house are MANY rooms... I go to prepare a place for you. if it were not so, I would have told you."

He gave up His comfort to save us. He was the Homeless Hero of all time.

"One of them, the disciple whom Jesus loved, was reclining next to him...leaning back against Jesus, he asked..."

That's a very intimate image. Jesus had no place to lay His head, but others could rest on Him.

Rest today in the One who loved you.

And when you see a homeless man, think of your blessings. But think most of all, someone will care if you don't come home tonight.

That's the true tragedy of homelessness. No one wants you and no one would care if you never showed up again.

"I tell you my friends, USE unrighteous mammon to make friends here, so that you will be welcomed in the heavenly places!"

Give a burger and a hug to a homeless guy today. Pray for them.

Jesus would be proud of you if you did.

'Cause one day soon, He might decide it'll be you needing the charity.

Think Trading Places, bro. Trading Places.

No comments:

Post a Comment